Bernardi goes to the movies to confirm Renault-powered ERC3 entry
Florian Bernardi confirmed his FIA European Rally Championship entry – at a cinema in his native France last night.
The Clio R3T Trophy France winner from 2018 is making a full-time switch to ERC3 this season having contested – and won – during a selected campaign last year.
Competing in a Clio R3T alongside co-driver Victor Bellotto, Bernardi will begin his title challenge on Rally Islas Canarias (2-4 May), before contesting the remaining six rounds of the all-action ERC.
“We have the ambition to go to the ERC for several years, we tasted it in 2018 and by force of perseverance and thanks to my partners, this year will be the good one!” said Bernardi, who will continue his relationship with Renault Sport, Fred Anne Compétition and R.tec suspension. “We already have two seasons in the Clio R3T and we know the potential of this car.”
While Bernardi has experience of Rally Islas Canarias and Rally di Roma Capitale from 2018, the other five rallies on his schedule will be all-new to the 29-year-old, who also has limited experience on gravel.
“Gravel is a surface that I do not know well but I can’t wait to discover it during a race,” Bernardi said. “Our victory last year on Rally Islas Canarias and our performance during Rally di Roma Capitale makes us think that we can claim the title, which is clearly the goal.”
Bernardi’s 2019 ERC campaign was unveiled during the screening of a specially-commissioned film at the Cinema Le Pathé Cap Sud in Avignon on Friday evening. The hour-long production by Julien Fébreau, watched by 250 special guests, charted Bernardi’s career from his first rally in a Peugeot 104 in 2007 to his Clio R3T Trophy France title success in 2018.