ERC Tet Rally Liepāja
|Date||17 - 18 June 2023|
|Watch the rally||Live Stream|
The rally in 100 words
The brainchild of driver turned promoter Raimonds Strokšs and first run to great acclaim in 2013, Rally Latvia (previously Rally Liepāja) was a winter event but switched to autumn in 2016 for more guaranteed weather. The new date made for an all-new rally as crews adjusted to gravel roads free of snow and ice. Although the time of year had changed, the high-speed stages in western Latvia continued to thrill drivers and fans. Organisers of this forward-thinking event made more changes for 2019 by moving to May and expanding the route to take in popular stages around the Talsi region.
- Rally Liepāja ran for the first time in 2013 with Jari Ketomaa/Kaj Lindström taking victory in a Ford Fiesta RRC. It was the first and only year the really finished in Ventspils, up the Baltic coast from the host city.
- In recent years, Rally Liepāja has formed part of the Festival of Speed Kurzeme, which brings powerboat racing to the city’s Tirdzniecības canal, plus other motorised attractions to the local area.
- Two former Liepāja winners, Craig Breen and Esapekka Lappi, have both gone on to secure factory drives in the World Rally Championship, while Oliver Solberg will form part of Hyundai’s Rally1 driver line-up in 2022.
- Solberg is the event’s youngest winner after taking top spot in 2019 aged 17 years, eight months and three days. In fact, the result made him the youngest ERC event winner.
- Liepāja can claim to be the only Latvian city outside the capital Riga to offer air, land and sea transport options, while its former city council chairperson, Uldis Sesks, is an ex-rally driver of note and father of Mārtiņš Sesks, the 2018 FIA ERC3 and ERC3 Junior champion.
|Year||Driver / Co-Driver||Car|
|2022||Martins Sesks / Renars Francis||Škoda Fabia Rally2 EVO|
|2021||Nikolay Gryazin / Konstantin Aleksandrov||Volkswagen Polo GTI R5|
|2020||Oliver Solberg / Aaron Johnston||Volkswagen Polo GTI R5|
|2019||Oliver Solberg / Aaron Johnston||Volkswagen Polo GTI R5|
|2018||Nikolay Gryazin / Yaroslav Fedorov||Škoda Fabia R5|
|2017||Nikolay Gryazin / Yaroslav Fedorov||Škoda Fabia R5|